Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesday is for Writers...




Confused?? Overwhelmed?? Wish you had become an accountant like your mother wanted?? Me too!!

Most of the time I love being a writer, especially on those occasions where my thoughts flow easily and by the time I break for lunch I am already looking at ten thousand perfect words for the day. (I usually break out the wine and toast to my brilliance at this point.)

Until the next day when I can't seemed to pull two coherent words together and writing an entire sentence seems completely out of the question. It is those days that I question my career decision. 

I have put together several posts that I have found both insightful and helpful when I realize it is going to be "one of those days."

Enjoy!!



Chuck Wendig on Terrible Minds
Writers Must Kill Self-Doubt Before Self-Doubt Kills Them

“It’s insidious, this thing called doubt.

You’re sitting there, chugging along, doing your little penmonkey dance with the squiggly shapes and silly stories and then, before you know it, a shadow falls over your shoulder. You turn around.

But it’s too late. There’s doubt. A gaunt and sallow thing. It’s starved itself. It’s all howling mouths and empty eyes. The only sustenance it receives is from a novelty beer hat placed upon its fragile eggshell head — except, instead of holding beer, the hat holds the blood-milked hearts of other writers, writers who have fallen to self-doubt’s enervating wails, writers who fell torpid, sung to sleep by sickening lullabies.”



Joanna Penn on The Creative Penn
The Roller Coaster of Being a Writer.

“I hate writing. It’s so hard to force myself to sit and type words that are a load of crap anyway.

I love writing. Some days I can get into a flow state and the words come effortlessly onto the page, and they’re actually pretty good! I love creating something from just my brain. It’s the best life in the world.”




Petrea Hansen-Adamidis on Tiny Buddah

“A while back I began to feel out of sorts with my writing. It happened after coming down from the high of creating almost nonstop with my inner muse. I noticed that I began to feel down, like the feeling one gets after being at the amusement park when the excitement is over.

Creating and finishing my projects had been a wild ride. It was exciting and intense at times. But once done, an insidious feeling began to over take me.

My thoughts began to wander to “the dark side” questioning my abilities.

What if I can’t create something new? What if people don’t like what I have done?”




No comments:

Post a Comment