Monday, October 12, 2015

31 Days of Halloween Tales - The Perfect Spot




A wee bit of a tale entitled:


The Perfect Spot


"This is it! It's perfect!!

Cliff looked at me to check if I was kidding. "Are you sure? It's a little out of the way."

"Oh no, I just love it!"

Now, I know you aren't supposed to show your emotions when buying real estate but I was thrilled with what we had found. Yes, I suppose it was a little out of the way but I liked the idea of the isolation and the quiet.

I had been looking for the perfect spot for several years but none had ever fit the bill exactly. They were often either too warm or too sunny or too dark but  more often than not, they were simply too crowded for my taste. I was a loner and had been for most of my life. A secluded place thick with ancient trees and lush grass sounded like the perfect match for me. People were nothing more than a mere annoyance and the less I had to be around them the better.

"Yep. This is it. The one I have been looking for all this time."

Cliff seemed to resign himself that my search was indeed over. "Well, if you are sure we can go back to the office and write it up."

I was more than sure, I was elated.

"Thanks," I said. "That would be just great!"

We went back to his little office at the front of the property and in less than an hour it was all done. I was the proud owner of the perfect spot.

I drove past my newly acquired property one last time before I left, taking in the beauty of it and imagining myself resting there.

I noticed Cliff standing outside his office and I waved good bye to him as I passed by, he was frowning a bit, I couldn't imagine why. It was beautiful, and perfect, and I was thrilled with my purchase.

Dusk was just beginning to fall and the late afternoon shadows were starting to  lengthen across the gravel road as I made my way towards the exit.

I glanced in my rear view mirror one last time before I drove through the large iron gates of the Cedar Grove Cemetery and headed towards home.





1 comment:

  1. Great story, Cynthia! The ending caught me by surprise!

    ReplyDelete