Saturday, October 10, 2015

31 Days of Halloween Tales - The Bates




A little tale entitled:


The Bates



"I’d like to get out of here, Simon. Something doesn't feel right."

"We just got here babe. Give it a chance."

I didn't want to give it a chance I wanted to go. This wasn't my idea of  Halloween fun. I wanted candy and apple cider. Maybe a fire even. It was chilly enough.

"I can't see anything. Where the heck are we?"

"It looks like we are in the Bates Motel if you want me to be honest."

To be frank, I didn't want him to be honest. I saw a pale yellow glow stick off in the distance and decided being honest, at times, had its shortcomings. I wanted him to lie and say we were Tahiti or somewhere else where the lights might still be on.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah! Isn't it cool?"

Cool? No, it definitely wasn't cool.

I clung to Simon's shirt (the wrinkle is in there permanently I am afraid) as we walked through pitch black narrow hallways lit only by what I imagined were small clusters of Christmas lights stuck inside various closets along the way. What had he gotten me into?

I found I couldn't breathe and I squeezed my eyes shut so as not to let anything in, praying we would make it out alive.

The air around us was  damp as if we were walking through a thick mist and when something cold touched my cheek, I screamed in spite of my desire to stay invisible.

My eyes shot open, also in spite of my desire to keep them shut, and I was face to face with an knife-wielding Norman Bates wearing a lopsided woman's wig that I guessed once belonged to his mother.

I screamed again, louder this time and shoved Simon to the ground as I plowed over him in search of the exit. I left him alone with Norman Bates a fact I am neither proud of nor ashamed of. Self-preservation is a tough cookie.

When I finally found my way outside I discovered the Halloween sky was full of stars and the air was cold and dry.  There was however, the faint smell of snow in the air and I thought how wonderful it would be to be home in front of the fire when the storm hit later on that night.

My racing heart slowed as I gazed at the star lit sky and I soon realized I could breathe once again.

Simon appeared a few seconds later looking slightly disheveled but really none the worse for the wear.

"Was that really necessary?"

He was frowning but I knew he thought it was all great fun.

I grabbed him and  pulled him close to me, giving him a deep kiss on his lips.

"Are you ready to go home now?"

This time he didn't even think about it.

"Yep. Let's blow this popsicle stand."

He grabbed my hand and practically dragged me out of Knott's Scary Farm and Halloween Horror Nights, leaving their version of Psycho far behind us.

No comments:

Post a Comment