Friday, October 2, 2015

31 Days of Halloween Tales - What's In a Name??



Another little short story entitled :

What's In a Name??

"Jesus!"
"It's just thunder, scaredy-cat."
"There was lightening too. Don't forget the lightening."
"Okay, so there is lightening too. But at least we're inside."
"We're on an island made of rock in the middle of the ocean inside of a ten story lighting rod of a lighthouse."
"The light keepers did it all time, Bob."
"And they died all the time, Claire."
"And we're not in the middle of the ocean, we're a short walk to the main land."
"Over slippery wet rocks. If we die I am going to blame you. This was your idea. To come out here on Halloween."
"Well, that is when you can see the ghost. Captain Joseph Barnsworth. They say he comes back every year on Halloween looking for his daughter, Sarah that was swept out to sea in that perfect storm."
"The movie with George Clooney?"
"Same storm, different story though."
"That was a good movie. What was the movie about the ghost? With what's-his-name?"
"Ghost?"
"Yeah, it was about a ghost but I can't remember the name of it."
"Are you thinking of the movie with Patrick Swayze?"
"YES! That's it! Do you remember the name of it?"
"The name of the movie is Ghost, Bob."
"Ghost? Just Ghost? That doesn't sound right."
"I'm pretty sure that is the name. I would check Google on my phone but I don't have a signal out here in nowhere land."
"Wasn't that a Beatles' song? Nowhere Land?"
"I think you're thinking of Nowhere Man."
"Oh yes, you're right. Nowhere man please listen. You don't know what you’re missing. It's getting cold."
"Getting? I would say we are ten degrees past getting."
"Do you want my coat?"
"Not yet."
"What's that smell?"
"I don't know, it smells like smoke sort of but not quite. A pipe maybe?"
"I think maybe you're right. Or a cigar?"
"No, that's a pipe, I'm pretty sure. It even smells sort of familiar."
"Who do you know that smokes a pipe?'
"No one that I can think of but that is definitely familiar to me."
"Did you hear that?"
"Hear what?"
"That."
"I don't hear anything except my teeth chattering."
"I heard something."
"It's just the wind I think."
"It sounded like a voice calling."
"I didn't hear anything."
"Listen. Outside."
"I hear thunder rolling."
"No, a voice."
"How can you hear a voice in this storm?"
"There! Did you hear that? Claire? "
"I heard something. It sounded like someone calling my name."
"Claire?"
"No, Sarah. My real name."
"Since when is Sarah your real name?"
"Since you brought me back home."







No comments:

Post a Comment